Saturday, May 16, 2015

Making Welt Pocket

This week I made a skirt with welt pocket.  It was my first time doing such pockets and I was very pleased with the result.  Before I sew the skirt, I tried it on scrap fabric and documented the steps as my guide so I could do it right with the skirt.

I haven't had a chance to photograph the skirt yet as I'm making a small summer collection, and I'm a bit lazy to photo one piece at a time.

However, I decided I might as well post the steps I did for making the welt pocket.  I will not be so pompous to claim to be a good seamstress.  More than anything, I put this together for myself, so I'll be able to do it again next time.

Here is how I did it:


1. cut two pieces of contrast color (yellow) fabric for pocket.


2. Place the contrast color pieces with RS facing down, and the main fabric (blue) RS facing up. 
The pieces of pockets meet at the line where pocket opening placement line. 


3. Mark the pocket opening at 1/4" away from the center where the 2 pieces meet.


4. Sew straight stitches along the 2 lines. 
Zigzag between the center of pocket and the 2 lines 


This is what it loos like.


 5. Cut the center of main fabric just a little short of the full length. 
Then cut from each end diagonally to the corners. 

6. Pull pocket fabric through the cut slit to the back.


 This is what the RS looks like.


 and what the back side looks like.


7. with RS of main fabric facing up, fold the main fabric towards center.
Sew straight stitches along the pocket.
Sew zigzag stitches to finish the pocket. 


8. Press open.









No comments:

Post a Comment