Monday, September 14, 2015

New Patterns for This Early Fall

I got a new pattern up in Ravelry.  It's Season of Persimmons. 
It comes in 8 sizes 30, 33, 35, 38, 41, 46, 49, 51.  The sizes are based on chest measurements of finished sweater in inches.
It's a pattern I'm rather proud of and it's actually reversible too. So, this brightens up my Monday!

Also, a while back, I got 2 patterns published and I never got around to post them here.
First, After Chrysalis.  It's a triangular shawl worked from top down, and pattern includes it 2 sizes.

Also, Early in June Shawl. My version of this top down triangular shawl was knitted in linen yarn and I love, love, love the look and feel of linen.  It's well worth the extra effort of knitting with linen.

Happy Monday!

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Handspun Shawl

Semester started this week.  I was too exhausted to post my latest project, a handspun shawl that I finished last week until now.  This semester, I ended up teaching one extra class because they couldn't find anyone to teach it.  Now I'm kicking myself for saying yes.  As much as I need the extra income, the schedule really sucks. It leaves me with little time or energy to do anything else. I sure hope I can still squeeze in time for some knitting this fall.

I used the Polwarth from Doodles in String that I spun coupla years ago, and needle size #6.  It's a top down triangular shawl with very simple stockinette stitches in handspun for the main section and Elann Baby Silk  for the lace border.  The colors of the handspun were just lovely, Chris sure knows how to dye beautiful yarns and fibers. Initially I was hesitant to pair the delicate colors with a shocking deep red for the border, but I went for it anyway and sure glad I did.

The lace border was a last minute design, and I dig it.  Unlike the usual way of designing the border before I start the first stitch of shawl, this time, I knitted the plain section to use up most of the handspun yarn first, then swatched for the border that will work with the stitch count.  The border design took 2 tries. First one was OK, but as it was laying on the floor to dry, I noticed I like the design upside down more. So I re-designed and re-swatched the second one with the motif flipped upside down and made some slight modifications.

Loving this shawl. Hating my work schedule. Hoping for more knitting to come.